Still waiting on the new fan controller boards, they're taking awhile to get in. Had the Miata at a couple local car shows and it's been running great, despite some overheating apparent in the clutch line causing the reservoir to overflow. I need to get some insulation on it or reroute the line entirely. Other than that, it's been a blast on 15 psi and is quite a lot of fun!
The fan controller was not as successful, unfortunately. It seems I have much to learn about comparators and op-amps, so I've spent some time researching and learning about how this stuff works, and spent time redoing a lot of what I've previously laid out. Found some big errors in my layout and some ways to fix things too, so hopefully will have a better-working board after all this.
Got the boards I designed in! First electronics projects where I've actually designed circuit boards! Super exciting, as eventually I've got some bigger projects I'd like to get into, such as building my own ECU for the car! This little test is for a motorcycle blinker conversion, to allow using a single LED in place of a dual-filament bulb. It works well!
With the -4AN line installed, there is *much* less oil in the turbo. Just a tiny little bit, as opposed to the Exxon Valdez level of oil spill that was previously pouring back out of the filter due to the recirc valve not being able to keep up (I've got a new one of those on the way as well). Hopefully this is where I can leave it, but even that small amount of oil has me slightly concerned, so I may just go all out and try to run a bigger oil drain, but we'll see.
Driving it more now, the current issue I've been having is problems with over-oiling the turbo. Currently running -6AN line, but I think that's providing a little too much oil to the turbo. It was leakign large amounts of oil into the intake and getting it through into the intercooler and even further. I've changed it back to a -4AN line in an attempt to lower the amount of oil going into it so it doesn't overwhelm my drain line. Weighed it with my new corner scales too, a scant 2351 lbs!
More work on the exhaust, getting the midpipe welded up, which has been a pain! Now that it's complete, I've gotten the system bolted up beneath the car, set up the muffler in the right spot as well and got it tacked up. All I need to do now is get the final pipe to the tip welded up and then comes bending and welding on hangers, which will be fun to try and position correctly.
Car starts and runs! Freaking epic. It's very loud though! Took it on a few little drives around the area to test for leaks and such, built 3 PSI of boost so the wastegate is operating normally! Now on to the exhaust system. Building it out of 3" stainless, which is an interesting thing to weld. Got most of it mocked up and tacked up, waiting on a bit more pipe to finish it all.
Welded up an intake pipe to attach my air filter to, and got the oil line hooked up and locked down. Turbo is installed, downpipe connected, and water lines are going in tomorrow. Still have to plumb in the bypass valve, wire up the boost solenoid and O2 sensor, and reinstall the radiator, connect everything back up and refill it. Needs brackets made for the top of the rad too.
Absolutely exhausted. Pulled the steering rack and removed the suction/pressure lines to just use the rack without a pump, capped off the open holes and cleaned/reinstalled it. Huge amount of work. Got the turbo set back in, and cut/installed the oil drain line. Started mocking up how to install the oil feed, but the stainless line I have will make a shredded mess of the engine bay, so swapping to some nylon-covered PTFE line instead.
Well, got less done this Sunday than I'd hoped, IAT sensor is installed and wired, fully dressed the turbo and found some clearance issues with the housing and wastegate actuator I had to solve. Hopefully getting the oil feed and drain installed today, thinking I might just leave the PS off for now and loop the lines to see how I like it, maybe do EPS down the line if I don't.
Pushing to get this car in running order before next weekend, which means it's gonna be tight. Got in the turbo blanket and can't figure out how to install it, emailed the company. Got the wrap installed on the downpipe how I think it should go, but not sure if that's the right way or not. Redesigning the oil feed system to be less janky and doing the same with the water, moving to AN lines instead of just barb fittings on the turbo. Turbo should be installed within the next day or two.
Ordered up a few more parts for the Miata, have most of what I need now to get the turbo installed! Planned out some tubing routing for the cooling and oil system, and also need to take a day to pull the O2 sensor out and reroute it back to the downstream location on the car; the Kraken downpipe has the bung further back than the factory upstream location. May need to cut/crimp the O2 to fit, but hopefully not.
Might even be able to bring it to a car show in a couple weeks!
Machined the bung I had so it would perfectly fit on the tubing, so I can read the IATs from the cold side of the intake. Surprisingly worked better than I thought it would, and I was able to tune the height of the sensor in the tube. Welding was a little difficult, found out that welding on the bung even with the pipe being thin, required a good amount more heat, probably around 75-80A as opposed to the 50-60A I run just welding the tubing together.
Now that the rad mounts are in, it's back to pie cuts for me. Working backwards from the intake manifold, there's some tight spaces that I couldn't get a right-angle silicone joint to fit in, so I have to do some very tight pie cuts to go over 90 and then back to drop straight down through the snug space between the radiator and between the alternator pulley and AC lines.